Friends and advocates, we’re now preparing for this year’s coastal clean-up which we’ll be having on Freedom Island this coming September 13, 2014. Earth Island Institute Philippines is helping out Save the Bay and the Save Freedom Island Movement in reaching out to various individuals, groups, institutions who would like to join.
For a start, we’ve setup this event page as a way of coordinating with our fellow environmentalists, green activists, and communities who battle not only garbage in our coasts and seas, but also threats of reclamation projects.
Here are some basic things to bring, individually or can be in group. Note that we suggest to only pack light, only the essentials.
- Gloves (that could withstand tearing when you use hands to pickup garbage or hold equipment)
- Stick or Tong (for picking up garbage) *optional
- Sack (for putting in garbage)
Please note that it is advisable to use sacks instead of the black garbage bags.
For ATTIRE and PERSONAL HYGIENE
- Wear “Earth” colored clothes – brown, blue, green, etc, and not yellow, red or neon variants.
- Bring extra clothes for changing into after the clean-up
- Soap and water for washing (can be for individual or group)
- Drinking water and snacks. We suggest putting it in your reusable food boxes and water bottles.
Have breakfast or an early morning snack if possible.
CONDUCT of the CLEAN-UP
We assemble straight AT FREEDOM ISLAND (see the Google Map link in this email) from 5 AM to 6 AM.
From 6 AM to 6:30 AM, we conduct an ORIENTATION for TEAM/GROUP LEADERS or COORDINATORS. Please assign one for your group, and give us the name.
We’ll have a short program by 6:30 AM which will conclude in a general orientation for everyone attending.
We’ll start the clean-up by 7 AM which will last up to 9 AM. We’ll start wrapping up by 9 AM and be done by 10 AM. By 10:30 AM everyone’s homeward bound.
Here’s a google map, with a waypoint coming from the Blue Wave Commercial Center in Pasay (a block away from SM Mall of Asia). Of course you can also identify MOA in the map.
See you all there!